Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Curt Collins Conversation

One of the benefits of working in Christian radio is meeting a lot of people, including the artists whose music we enjoy. Curt Collins is one of those artists - I've interviewed him several times, and he has been in concert a couple of times in our area. He's a great worship leader, a great musician, and all around nice guy! Not only does he sing, but he plays guitar, piano and saxophone! 

I caught up with Curt this past week...

Sandy: When you were growing up, how did you express yourself through music?
Curt: I would constantly be singing, especially around the house. My mother used to say “Sing Curt, sing!” It was pretty funny because she said that ALL of the time. My dad just used to laugh at me and mom.

S: Aside from the nuts and bolts of the Christian music business, tell us about your passion for music.
  
C: I have always loved music and have always loved the Lord.  If I just touch one person with my music and message then my job has been done.  It’s all about bringing people to Christ and helping those who are lost and hurting -  Matthew 28:8-20 NIV  (The Great Commission). That’s what our faith is all about, right? 

S: What music inspires you?  
C: All of the great ones that have touched thousands of lives - Steven Curtis Chapman, Michael W. Smith, Casting Crowns, and there are many others. 
S: As a songwriter, I’m sure each song you write is special to you. Is there one that, when we hear it, tells most about you as a person? 
C: I think “Hiding Place” now really describes how I feel about a lot of things. Life just gets “messy,” doesn’t it?  So when it gets that way I always turn to the Lord, for He is my “hiding place!” 

S: Any projects in the works? 
C: Five new songs out soon that I’m writing with my producer, Jamie Slocum at CURB Records.

S: What’s on your iPod now? 

C: Anything from Sinatra, Boston to Hillsong!  A huge hodgepodge of tunes I like to listen to while riding on my motorcycle!
S: Tell us about this song that I’ve linked to today.

C: “Another Day” -  This song touched many lives and stayed in the TOP 10 on radio for several weeks. The video was also in rotation on The Gospel Music Channel.  The words “one day I’ll worship You in glory ... and be free, free from all this hurt I’ve known” are SO powerful and so true.  I truly believe if we believe that Christ is the Way, Truth and the Life then we will be in that eternal place called Heaven where there is no suffering and no pain. 

And this links to his Facebook page. "Like" him for updates on his new project!

No comments:

Post a Comment