Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Smooth Snack!

I don't know about you, but during the summer I have a hard time finding cool, filling snacks without just defaulting to the freezer for my favorite - Blue Bell Light Homemade Vanilla ice cream! Usually topped with Hershey's Syrup. (I was double-checking the nutrition facts - I knew it had 0 g fat and cholesterol, but unfortunately it has high fructose corn syrup as the first ingredient! Maybe switch to Hershey's Cocoa?) I try to make it healthy by adding a banana. :b

Smoothies always sound like a good idea, but when I've gotten them at different restaurants, I've always been disappointed. So I decided to get out the blender and do a little experimenting. This is probably old hat for a lot of folks, but I have to tell you, the blender and I have never actually become real good friends. I probably could count on one hand the number of times it's been used. (I can't believe I just said that out loud!) 

I had some organic vanilla yogurt in the fridge, got some frozen blackberries out, and blended away. It was a bit thick and the blackberries were a little sour so I added a splash of milk and a touch of organic sugar. Got some fun parfait glasses out, and voilĂ !


Very tasty and popular with the whole family! Except I won't be using blackberries again - too many seeds! Trying blueberries next - put some antioxidants in the diet! And bananas can't go wrong. Yum!

For the record...

Equal amounts yogurt and fruit - I used about a cup
about 2 T. milk
about 1 t. sugar

This served 3 of us a refreshing snack after dinner! 


No comments:

Post a Comment